Saturday, October 1, 2016

Introductions...


ABOUT ME
Born in 1986, in Los Angeles... I have always been a fan of the Arts. Whether it be painting, sculpting, wood working, or photography; I wanted to do it all. My obsession with miniatures began when I came across a book about Miniatures in my middle school library. It was called "Dollhouse Miniatures" and featured a huge selection of Thorne Rooms and many other artist made miniature creations. I was instantly obsessed. My first house was a Duracraft Log Cabin that me and my dad assembled together, followed by a Duracraft Farmhouse.

After taking almost 2 decades off to do some growing up, I recently decided to get back into the craft and fully take it by storm!



CASA CALIFORNIA
Growing up in Los Angeles, I was constantly surrounded by this amazing 1920s architecture. The 1920s was a roaring age in Los Angeles as the Hollywood scene took over and an incredible boom in luxury homes took place. These homes were inspired by the very theatrics that paid for them.  One of the styles of architecture that was burn in this era was the Spanish Colonial Revival.

As an avid miniaturist, I noticed that you don't see this style of dollhouse almost.... ever.  In a field dominated by Victorians, I knew I wanted to do something different and completely from scratch. The initial idea for the house started when I was a kid.  After my farmhouse, I started playing around with plaster of paris and making walls to experiment. Now, as an adult, and with the many modern advances there have been since the 90s, I was able to turn all my ideas and inspiration into a 3D model of the house on Google Sketchup.  I present to you, the rendering of Casa California:

FRONT FACADE

FRONT RIGHT

INTERIOR

INTERIOR: CLOSE-UP


In this blog, I plan on sharing everything from this adventure Im about to embark on. From tips and tutorials, to random updates. I truly thank you for joining me on this journey!


xx
Chris

3 comments:

  1. Chris,
    Wow! Love this new project........and isn't Sketch-Up amazing!
    I am very interested is seeing/hearing about the photo etched brass that you are doing. This will be a stunning house!
    Ray W-B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having grown up in Van Nuys in the 1970's, I am excited to follow your build! I have longed to build something such as this; and have thought I should just do one myself, not knowing the first thing about miniatures. And with that said, and have always wanted to attempt,I took an old bookcase as a basis to start. Your work is amazing! Such an inspiration! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth! Thanks for following!! Van Nuys has some beautiful spanish homes! And I love that bookshelf Idea! Happy wednesday!

      Chris

      Delete